Everyone at MCP Softwash & Painting hopes you and your family have a fun and safe Labor Day weekend!
This is the unofficial end of summer. We hope it was a great summer and hope the fall is even better. We know this time of year can be hectic, but we want you to know we are ready to clean your home. Our techs love to help homeowners get a major job accomplished as they are tending to life.
Another thing our techs love is a good set of trivia questions. Well, that may not be completely true, but we do have some great facts about the Labor Day holiday. And while most know that Labor Day in the United States is celebrated on the first Monday in September, many might not know it honors the American labor movement. This movement brought strength, prosperity and well-being to our country. There are currently about 157 million people above the age of 16 in the country’s workforce.
This year’s holiday is Monday, September 3rd.
10 Fun Trivia Facts About Labor Day
1) The first ever US Labor Day was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in New York City, which was planned by the Central Labor Union.
2) The American Labor Day concept was idealized by Canada in order to honor the Labor Movement. They also held a “9-hour Movement” to support the striking workers.
3) The first state to celebrate Labor Day was Oregon. The legal holiday was celebrated in 1887.
4) Labor Day was made a National Holiday by Grover Cleveland. He signed an Act in 1894 establishing a federal holiday.
5) Congress passed an Act on June 28th, 1894, to make Labor Day a legal holiday to be celebrated on the first Monday of September.
6) Labor Day weekend is considered to be the busiest travel weekend of the year.
7) Research shows thousands of moms would actually go into labor on Labor Day, with almost 10,829 babies being born on Labor Day.
8) Labor Day is also considered to be the end of “Hot Dog Season.” The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council reports that Americans typically consume almost 7 billion hot dogs.
9) Before Labor Day act was passed, an average workday was 12 hours long, seven days a week.
10) Peter McGuire is thought to be the father of Labor Day.
Contact Us for Pressure Washing & Painting
For a free estimate on pressure washing, staining, painting or any of our other services, call our Poquoson, VA office at 757.868.0420 to schedule an appointment. We specialize in house washing, concrete cleaning, gutter cleaning, roof cleaning, deck cleaning and staining, and fencing cleaning and restoration services.
Our techs are authorized to work on residential and commercial properties, because of being licensed and insured. They are expertly-trained in all aspects of exterior cleaning and will leave your property looking like new every time. You can also keep up with us on social media by following our Facebook page or you can check out our Google reviews here.
We offer pressure washing and custom painting services in the greater Poquoson area. That area includes Hampton, Yorktown, Seaford, Newport News Fort Monroe and Yorktown. We also serve Isle of Wright, James City, Williamsburg, Lanexa and Toana.